Las Tablas Animal Hospital’s Dr. Edsall has an extensive background working in Association of Zoos and Aquariums–accredited zoos as a staff mammalogist and avian veterinarian, and during this time, he worked with exotics as well. Dr. Edsall is happy to care for exotic animals and birds at Las Tablas Animal Hospital, and he looks forward to keeping them healthy.
Las Tablas Animal Hospital welcomes all kinds of exotic pets, including reptiles, such as tortoises, snakes, lizards, rabbits, rodents and sugar gliders.
Wellness exams for exotic animals at Las Tablas Animal Hospital include consultations on:
- Proper diet
- Cage setup
- Environmental requirements, like temperature, lighting and heat
- Nutritional supplements
- Changes from aging
- Species-specific behavior
Annual wellness exams keep your bird healthy and allow your Las Tablas Animal Hospital veterinarian to identify developing health issues early, before they are big problems.
Early signs of illness may include, but are not limited to:
- Slight change in vocalization or eating habits
- Dull feathers and color changes in feathers
- Extended molt
- Chewed, picked or broken feathers
- Stained feathers around nares, vent or eyes
- Swelling, redness or feather loss around eyes
- Crusty material in the nostrils
- Excessively flaky beak or skin
- Excessive overgrowth of beak or nails
- Sores or loss of scale pattern on the bottoms of the feet
- Favoring or lameness in limb
Although these are not all possible symptoms, these could be signs of a health problem. If your bird shows any of these symptoms, we recommend scheduling an appointment with Dr. Edsall.
Schedule an exam for your exotic animal or bird at Las Tablas Animal Hospital by calling 805-369-2222.