Fall Pet Healthcare Tips
As the air cools slightly and we head into fall, you should be thinking about your pet’s health in addition to all the fun autumn-themed activities just around the corner. While you’re plotting your Halloween costume, carving pumpkins and preparing your Thanksgiving meal, make sure you don’t forget about the hazards that could affect your pet this time of year!
In Southern California, fleas and ticks stay active well into the fall, so it’s important to continue to prevent these pests from bothering your pet by administering flea and tick preventative medications. It’s a good idea to still check for fleas and ticks regularly, too.
Clean up school supplies! When ingested, crayons, markers and glue sticks can cause upset stomachs and gastrointestinal blockages.
Snakes tend to be quite active this time of year, so be aware of the snakes around your yard and where they tend to hide.
Mushrooms start popping up in the fall, and many are poisonous. Keep them out of your yard, and keep your pets from munching on them on walks as well.
Rats, mice and other rodents are more visible in the fall as they start to seek warmer shelter. Try to avoid using poisons, as whatever is poisonous to rodents will be poisonous to your pets, too! Your pet could even be poisoned by a rodent that was killed with rodenticide. If you spot your pet with a rodent, make him drop it and keep an eye on him. If he seems to have eaten some of the rodent, or if he starts vomiting or acting strangely, call Las Tablas Animal Hospital immediately.
Candy is everywhere around Halloween. Keep any and all candy tucked away and out of your pet’s reach. Chocolate and anything containing xylitol are particularly poisonous to pets, but any candies could potentially upset your pet’s stomach.
It may be tempting to give your dog a turkey bone on Thanksgiving, but small fragments of the bone could get lodged and cause gastrointestinal issues. The turkey itself often causes problems as well, as high amounts of fat can upset your pet’s stomach and can even cause pancreatitis.