Got A Scaredy-Cat? Here’s Help!
Statistics show that after their initial kitten vaccinations, cats see the vet about half as often as dogs. The #1 reason? Pet owners say their cats hate going to the vet—and they put up a terrifying fight. Here are some things you can do to ease the stress and anxiety for you and your cat.
- Help your feline friend become comfortable with the carrier before scheduled vet visits. Leave the carrier out in a room where your cat spends lots of time and put soft, familiar bedding as well as catnip or toys inside.
- Don’t chase your cat when trying to get him or her in the carrier. Try to encourage the cat to go in on their own with treats or consider a top-loading carrier.
- Try spritzing a cat-friendly pheromone spray inside the carrier 30 minutes before departure. FeliwayTM or even a drop or two of lavender essential oil can be calming.
- Put a light blanket or towel over the carrier in the car, making sure to allow for ventilation. The less unfamiliar sights, sounds and smells, the better.
- Talk to your cat in a low, soothing voice while he or she is being examined.