Open Mon-Fri: 5PM to 10PM, Sat: 12PM to 8PM, Sun: 12PM to 6PM

Las Tablas Animal Hospital Make an Appointment 805-369-2222
House of Hazards

House of Hazards

What’s lurking in and around your home that could make your pet sick? Turns out, lots of things.

March is Pet Poison Prevention Month, and we want you to be aware of substances that should stay out of paw’s reach!

Living rooms. Poisonous things in these areas include certain plants, fragrance products, batteries, bags/purses (which can contain many toxic items) and more.

Kitchens. There are many, many human foods which are poisonous to pets and which need to be kept away from them. Garbage cans should also be kept pet proof, and alcoholic beverages need to be safely stored away from curious snouts.

Bathrooms. All medications need to be safely stored away in cupboards and not on countertops. Bathroom cleaning products need to also be tucked away, and always remember to close toilet lids.

Garages. Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) products have a sweet taste that pets may enjoy, however these items are extremely toxic and should be safely hidden. Car products like cleaners and fluids need to also be properly stored.

Outdoor areas. Many plants can make pets ill, the most common being azaleas, lilies, daffodils and tulips. Keep fertilizers sealed and out of reach. Rat bait and snail killers are also be harmful to pets—even if they say “pet safe”. Insecticides and sprayed herbicides can be dangers as well.

If you believe your pet has ingested anything toxic, you must IMMEDIATELY contact us at 805-369-2222. Please be ready with the label or type of object that your pet has ingested.

Should your pet eat something you believe may be poisonous after hours, you can also reach out to the Pet Poison Helpline, which is available 24/7 for any additional questions or expert help. There may be a charge for consultations.

As always, don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have questions about these and other substances and your pet’s safety!